How do you feel about grocery shopping? Love it? Hate it? Refuse to do it? I’ve always enjoyed it, but I definitely enjoy it more when I do it solo. Unfortunately solo trips to the store is not always possible when you’re a mom! Grocery shopping is hard enough to do without having a tiny human to care for while you do it! I’ve been there, done that, and with two babies! It sounds worse than it is, I promise. Along the way I’ve learned some helpful tips that I’m happy to share with you all today that will hopefully help make your grocery shopping trips with baby quicker, and easier! So mama’s, take notes!
1. Be super freaking organized. Like we’re talking OCD organized. The better prepared you are, the quicker you can get in and out of the store. I’m talking not only have a grocery list, have the list organized by section and aisle so you don’t waste time going down aisles you don’t need anything from.
2. Pack the essentials. Diapers, wipes, toys, snacks, blanket, pacifier…anything you may need to keep baby happy while you shop.
3. Scared of germ-y shopping cart handles but don’t want to invest in a cover? Grab a pool noodle or fitted sheet from your dollar store to cover the handle. For a pool noodle cut a slit and pop it onto the handle of the cart. For a sheet, be sure to cut holes for baby’s feet if they are sitting up.
4. If you don’t want your diaper bag or purse to take up space in the cart buy a metal key chain clip from the dollar store, or “mommy hook” from Toys R Us, and attach onto the shopping cart. If you prefer not to spend money, grab a produce bag, and just tie your bag onto the handle with the produce bag!
5. Parking in the designated Mom spots are actually not that convenient for parents with babies. You either have to lug your baby out of the car, and walk to the cart area, or leave baby in the car and do a mad dash. Mama’s, you’re way better off parking in the spot right next to the carts, or as close as you can get.
6. It’s actually not very safe to put baby in their car seat and put it in the designated spot on shopping carts, and putting a bulky car seat into the main part of the shopping cart takes up a ton of room! A better option for parents with a baby, and especially parents with twins, is to invest in a Binxy Baby Shopping Cart Hammock! This product would have been a life saver for me when The Twincesses were babies! Instead of having to wait for hubby to get home and then go grocery shopping at night when I was exhausted, if I had two Binxy Baby Shopping Cart Hammocks I could have gone grocery shopping whenever I wanted to and there would still have been plenty of room for groceries in the cart! Binxy Baby folds up small, fits most standard shopping carts, can hold car seats, and supports babies up to 50lbs.
7. Depending on your baby, the best time to go grocery shopping would be after nap time if your baby doesn’t nap well if not at home. Or, if your baby is a good sleeper, go near nap time and baby will sleep while you shop! No matter what, just make sure baby is fed and changed before you go to avoid having to do either while in the store.
8. If it’s easier for you, have a friend, family member, or your spouse go grocery shopping with you. This way one of you can focus on tackling the grocery list, while the other can focus on baby. I made my sister come with me often, when I couldn’t wait for hubby to get home to go by myself.
9. Is anyone else guilty of trying to carry all the grocery bags at once to avoid another trip to the car? Keep an empty laundry basket in your trunk, and load the bags into it, then you’ll easily be able to lug all the groceries into the house in one trip!
10. Always have the person bagging your groceries put the cold items together, that way when you get home from the store and baby needs a diaper change, or to be fed, and you don’t have the chance/forget to put the groceries in the fridge right away, they’ll stay cold until you get to them.
Do you have any great tips that make grocery shopping with a baby easier for you? Please share in the comments, I’d love to know!
Have a great rest of the week, friends!
*Thank you to Binxy Baby for gifting me with their Shopping Cart Hammock. All opinions and thoughts are honest, and my own.*